Elevating Work Platform Regulations Based on CSA Standard B354.7:17, a mobile elevated work platform is a machine/device intended for moving persons, tools, and material to working positions, consisting of at […]
Elevating Work Platform Regulations
Based on CSA Standard B354.7:17, a mobile elevated work platform is a machine/device intended for moving persons, tools, and material to working positions, consisting of at least a work platform with controls, an extending structure, and a chassis.
Elevated work platforms have replaced ladders and scaffolding on many job sites due to their mobility and flexibility. They may be made of metal, fibber glass, reinforced plastic, or other materials. They also may be powered or manually operated, and are considered to be elevated work platforms whether or not they can rotate around a primarily vertical axis.
CSA B354.1/.2/.4 were withdrawn in 2018 and replaced by the following suite of standards:
- B354.6:17 Mobile elevating work platforms – Design, calculations, safety requirements, and test methods
(Adopted ISO 16368:2010, second edition, 2010-05-15, with Canadian deviations)
- B354.7:17 Mobile elevating work platforms — Safety principles, inspection, maintenance and operation
(Adopted ISO 18893:2014, second edition, 2014-04-15, with Canadian deviations)
- B354.8:17 Mobile elevating work platforms — Operator (driver) training
(Adopted ISO 18878:2013, second edition, 2013-08-01, with Canadian deviations)
How to get a elevating work platform license?
eSafetyFirst Elevating Work Platforms Training program has been developed in accordance with provincial legislation as safety training for workplaces across Canada. This course consists of 3 modules and tests. Once you pass all the tests, you may print your certificate of completion (wallet & wall-sized). Training may be paused or resumed at any time, is fully narrated, and includes interactive exercises to ensure understanding of course content.
Certification of MEWPs operators is usually a two-step process consisting of 1. Theoretical Training & Evaluation and 2. Hands-on Practice & Evaluation. Once the employee has successfully completed all steps they are considered to be a certified operator.
Based on CSA-B354.8:17, during the primary training the operator shall be trained in the following:
- assessment of the risks related to the task to be performed and the worksite where these tasks will be performed
- selection of an appropriate MEWP;
- purpose, use and content of the manufacturer’s operator’s manuals, warnings and instructions and applicable safety rules;
- location and storage of the manufacturer’s operator’s manuals
- pre-start inspection
- factors affecting stability
- hazards and their avoidance
- general knowledge of the intended purpose and function of all MEWP controls, including emergency controls
- how to address problems or malfunctions affecting the operation of the MEWP
- use of personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate to the task, worksite and environment;
Before being authorized to operate a particular mobile elevating work platform, make or model, the operator shall receive familiarization by a qualified person in:
- the location of the manufacturer’s manuals on the MEWP
- the manufacturer’s specific warnings and instructions,
- the control functions specific to the particular MEWP,
- the function of each safety feature specific to the particular MEWP, and
- the operating characteristics specific to the particular MEWP.
Under the direction, observation and evaluation of a qualified person, the trainee shall operate the MEWP for a period of time sufficient to demonstrate proficiency in the operation of all control functions of the MEWP and in safe-use operations, at a minimum of 75 % of the operating height and reach, as well as in both the lowered and elevated travel positions, as applicable.
How much does it cost to get your elevating work platform license?
The price for a single individual is $36.95.
Our calculator allows you to calculate the price per course for up to 250 users. What’s more, you can even track their learning experience using our Group Training option!
The final cost is based on the total number of courses purchased.
We guarantee the best price on the market, 20% cheaper than our online competitors and 3 times cheaper than hiring an instructor and proceeding with offline training.